Thursday, April 3, 2008

Blogging/Living

You know, this blogging thing is hard. I have so much i want to say, so much stuff in my head but I can't seem to work out what I should write. Too much. too much going on I can barely sort through it so I end up typing nothing. Sometimes I think about something I want to say but there's too much background to it and it ends up being easier to say nothing. most of the time I'm lazy, sometimes I'm discouraged because nobody reads this anyway, sometimes I'm too busy. Mostly I just have no idea what to say. Not because I have nothing to say but because I have too much to say and I have no idea how to sort through it all.

Honestly? Much of the time in blogging as in the rest of my life I have no idea what I'm doing, why I'm doing it or how I should do it. Whatever it is.

Make of that what you will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey Tom,

Just a few points, for what they're worth:

* You have at least one reader; admittedly, not frequent, and not much of a commenter, but a reader nevertheless.

* I tried several times to start a blog, and gave up several times, after facing many of the same questions you're asking in this post -- too much to write, not enough to write, etc etc. I found that the biggest problem, for me, was that I was uncomfortable writing too much about me. My current blog, which has been going since Christmas, has a much tighter focus, and not too demanding a schedule, with somewhere around 70% of the posts fitting that focus, and published weekly; and I've found myself really enjoying the blogging experience.

* But, perhaps the biggest change for me, was that I've stopped worrying if others are reading, and blog for me. I do run Google Analytics, and even check how things are going occasionally; but that's more a matter of interest than being at all concerned about how many people are reading. I just enjoy the process of being able to express some creativity through my writing. And other people actually enjoying it too is a huge bonus.

* And probably the best advice I was ever given in regards to blogging was, "Blog your passion!" Lorelle (http://lorelle.wordpress.com/) wrote it in her book when she signed it before sending on to me.

I don't know if any of that is at all helpful to you. It helps me sometimes to try and clarify my thinking: so if it isn't helpful, ignore it, it hasn't been wasted.

Cheers for now,
...paul