Friday, December 7, 2007

Thoughts in the storm

Looks like a storm hit my desk at the moment. And that's before you look in the draws and see how this last 2 monthes my idea of tidying has been to shove all non-essential stuff into a draw or any available space where it won't be seen. This last week i've given up any pretense of tidiness or organisation. Organised chaos? nope. just chaos. Doug Fields, in his excellent book 'What Matters Most?' suggests that excess clutter can be a symtptom of a life spiralling into excess busyness. Sounds about right Doug! So I'm working on it. I don't want to be lurching from event to event, project to project. I want to do youth ministry. I want to spend time withj youth, I want to mentor,, teach, lead, serve. I'm not an adminstrator yet I seem to spend an inordinate amount of my time administrating. innefficient. Jesus didn't work this way, he always found balance, he was in control.

ok, I have work to do. our concert is tonight, I'm looking foreward to it, i'm excited about it but there's a big part of me that will be happy when it's all over and i can relax... at least for a few moments then it's on to the next thing.

This is why I'm going to spend at least one day of my week off here in my office tidying, sorting and organising. Doesn't sound relaxing i know but if i don't do it while i have a week with no other responsibilities a) I won't ever get ahead and b) I'll not be able to really enjoy my
time off.

No comments: